Sustainable agriculture and creative teaching in Kundapur
Kundapur, Karnataka January 21 - February 3, 2019
Volunteer project: Kundapur is a town situated near the beach on the west coast of Karnataka state, and is very close to the Western Ghats (a mountain ridge). The Western Ghats is India's prime zone for bio-diversity, known for the number of animal and plant species in this region. We have been involved in developing projects in the region for many years and have formed a very strong network of local partners and local volunteers.
The focus of the project is providing field-based knowledge on sustainable agriculture and its impact and introducing creative learning methods in schools. The group will work with farmers, women groups and schools in different villages in the region.
The volunteers will be engaged in the following activities:
• Baseline survey and mapping;
• Conservation of natural resources: soil and water conservation, live hedge fencing, fruit and forest tree planting;
• Implementation of sustainable agriculture practices: crop cultivation, composting, kitchen garden, medicinal plants cultivation, nursery management;
• Maintenance and management: after care, basin making, watering, pruning, protection, etc.;
• Post-harvest practices: threshing, cleaning;
• Documentation of traditional cultivation practices;
• Learning the basics of Yoga and practicing Yoga every day;
• Teaching basic English in schools, introducing creative learning through art, music, games, etc.;
• Promoting Health and Hygiene Awareness;
• Promoting Eco friendly practices.
Leisure activities: Visits to cultural and religious sites, family visits as part of the inter-cultural learning and participation in cultural programs with the local community.
Accommodation: In the local training center, in shared rooms.
Location: Kundapur is a coastal town in Udupi district, Karnataka state in South India. Kundapur is located at the Arabian sea coast, 440 km north west of Bangalore, 91 km north of Mangalore and 35 km from Udupi. The nearest international airports are Bangalore and Mangalore. Kundapur can also be reached from Mumbai, Goa, Bangalore, Mangalore and Kerala by train/bus.
Age range: 18 and over
Extra fee: 15,000 Indian Rupees (about $235 US)
The extra fee is intended to support the local host of the project who does not have sufficient funds. It is due upon arrival.