Social integration of disabled people through art and sport
Kas, Antalya 2 weeks to 3 months
Volunteer project: Volunteers in this project will work for the social integration of people with disabilities through art and sport. The project base is a multi purpose center in a village nearby Kas, Antalya in the south-west of Turkey. In this venue, people with disabilities, who have been excluded from mainstream educational opportunities, have the chance to get education in various fields such as painting, rhythm, instrumental training, dj, drama, photography, sculpture, ceramics, personal development, sign language as well as sports education such as scuba diving, swimming, sailing, canoeing, boat skipping, trekking, various outdoor trainings, yoga and pilates, etc.
Volunteers who are willing to work with and for disabled people are welcome. Please be aware that the center is open all year but disabled people mainly will be there between May 15 – October 30. Thus you should consider their absence if you are willing to come out of these dates and sometimes even within these days. When there is no disabled groups in the center, volunteers will be expected to take up other tasks from the list below.
Although we do not require a nonstop working effort, volunteers are supposed to dedicate their time and energy when needed. Your help is required all day long, with breaks of course. You can help with the overall running of the site in different fields. Volunteers who can undertake more than just one task will be preferred. The work fields are as follows:
1) Kitchen : Food preparation / cooking / table setting / food serving / dish washing.
2) Field : General cleaning of all units / fixing buildings, boats, bikes, instruments / gardening both in main facility and in eco farm / animal care (mainly horses), farming, harvesting, landscaping.
3) Training as artist or assistant or just helper : Art workshops (painting, dance, rhythm, instrument, dj, drama, photography, sculpture, ceramics, handicraft) / courses (PC, foreign languages, personal development, sign language) / reading and library management / sport (swimming, scuba diving, sailing, rowing, canoeing, trekking, outdoor sports, volleyball, badminton, biking, bocce, climbing, archery) / boat skipping / various outdoor trainings / yoga and pilates.
4) Organization : Entertainment and event organization / indoor – outdoor games / driving and transportation / trip guiding / health care and first aid.
5) Administration : Office work (web and social media support, design, graphic design, administrative assistance).
Special requirements: Minimum age is 20. A detailed motivation letter should be sent with the application form. Volunteers who can take responsibility of more than one task will be preferred.
Duration of the project: The minimum required stay is 15 days, up to a maximum of 3 months. Please, note that the beginning dates are flexible for each volunteer, and you might be the only international volunteer during your stay. The project is running from April 1 to October 31, 2017.
Accommodation: Although a guest house and dormitories are available, volunteers might be asked to stay in tents when necessary. Disabled members of the arriving groups have the priority in using the dormitories. Sleeping bags, mats and tents will be supplied but those volunteers who prefer to bring their own ones are welcome to do so. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be prepared and served at the facility.
Location: The center is located in Kas, Antalya and has 16.000 square meters for various purposes. Kas is one of the most popular coastal towns in southern Turkey and the facility is 11 km away from the Kas town center.
Age range: 20 and over
Participation fee: $690 CAD (about $510 US)